Apr 11, 2021
I was excited to talk to Michael Collins to learn more about the sugar addiction and why it is important to clear our bodies of it for good. Michael is the founder of SugarAddiction.com and Quit Sugar Summit. He is the author of the bestselling book The Last Resort Sugar Detox Guide and is the past Chairman of the Board and current Board Member of Addiction Institute. He has been completely sugar-free for over 30 years and worked closely with others assist them in overcoming sugar addictions.
Of course I already have a baseline understanding of sugar being counter to optimal health, but Michael was able to share so many insights which link overuse of sugar to addiction of other substances, how it reacts with our biology, and most importantly gives practical suggestions on how to overcome our dependence on sugar. Here's a quick summary of what you'll hear in this episode:
- The pervasiveness of sugar in childhood as well as in
- The chemistry of glucose and fructose and how it affects the systems within the body, including the brain reward system.
- What is the best approach for long term success in recovering from sugar addiction?
- The importance of detoxing, whole foods, and the role of fruit.
- The role your emotional life plays in sugar consumption, and alternative solutions to sweets.
- The social conditioning and societal pressures being a barrier to changing our sugar habits.
- Eating for pleasure versus fighting withdrawal.
- Tips for reducing sugar intake of kids.